Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What the hell is happening!?

I’ve been facing an internal struggle for the past two weeks to write or not to write this post, there is a serious problem out there, and it really pisses me off. Obviously I decided to write the damn post, out of self remedy, nothing more.

Two weeks ago, me and 2 other friends left the cinema, we went to our usual place and ate some sandwiches, spend sometime talking and after a while decided to go home, nice story isn’t it!? Anyways we were walking home enjoying the amazing night breeze when we were stopped by a policeman who asked us about our destination and some other questions which I don’t recall. Now in these situations an internal struggle fires up, between the rational part of you that says “ok, let me be friendly, answer these stupid questions and get over with so I can go in my way”, and the other part that insists that the Jordanian constitution stated that the personal freedom is sacred, and people must fight for their right. The first part won at that moment, we answered the questions, were very cooperative and went on our way.

A couple of steps later, maybe 100 meters later, another policeman stopped us for questioning, this time the other part won. He asked “where have you been”, bluntly I answered “well why do you care where have we been?”, a short conversation went around between us; “you don’t have the right”, “I have the right” kind of talk, in the end he demanded we show him our IDs, I don’t know why but we did - and here is the posts actual topic-, as soon as he saw my last name, he said “Abbadi? Shame on you, you should be the most cooperative of the three!!”. This sentence “you should be the most cooperative of the three!!” what the hell is that supposed to mean!!!?

I’m not talking now about the constitutional rights, lets a admit a small fact, we were walking near the Royal hotel, in a street full of embassies, and quite near to a Royal palace, it was 1:30 AM, and two of us were carrying Laptops and a digital camera, we were really suspicious, and the police man had every right to stop us and question us, its his duty. I reviewed the Jordanian laws, and frankly he had the right to stop us.

My note is his remark, is it because I’m Jordanian from a Jordanian origin and my friends are from a Palestinian origin, I should be more “yes sir” because Jordanian-Jordanians are more loyal to the country and Palestinian-Jordanians are not, and the more “Yes Sir”s I do the more loyal I am!!?

This is what this police man was thinking when he asked me that question, in his mind there is a small equation:

All Jordanian-Jordanians are loyal to their country
All Palestinian-Jordanians are not loyal to their country
Loyalty is measured by how much you like the police officers
Liking the police officers means, you can’t wait to see them and doing whatever they ask

I’ve been facing such mentality all my life, and I’m sick of it, and I’m sicker of it right now, especially when it comes out bluntly from a police officer.

This is discrimination and it is really deep in our community, I’m used to face it in school and university, but to hear it come out of a “law enforcement” officer it is more bitter and alarming.

What happened to us? My grandfather used to go every Friday to pray in Jerusalem, my father as a kid used to work in Ramallah! Palestinian workers used to come and help my grandfather in our land when it’s harvest time, it was all casual, we were all brothers and sisters, no one thought of discriminating between the two/one people! Could a few political mistakes from both parties do such a deep crack? Some people might say that the Jordanian army killed relatives of theirs, and other might say that Palestinian rebels killed their relatives! No one really knows who started this shit and no one knows whose to blame in it, but I know some facts, it happened 35 years ago, it is shaking the foundation of our community and surely the only one benefiting from it is the enemy of our country (whoever, whatever that may be)

It should stop, it should end, and it should die.

And quoting Dogbert (Dilbert’s dog) “Out .. Out, Out you demons of stupidity”!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Rami said...

When the policeman told you that you are the one who is supposed to be cooperating, he really hurt me. What the hell is the difference between you and me? don't we both work for the good of the country? I mean, without seeing the IDs he won't be able to tell who is Jordanian-Jordanian and who is Palestinian-Jordanian. This is crap!

I am Jordanian as much as I am Palestinian. I was born here, lived here, studied here, and currently I am working here. All I have spent in Palestine during my life is a total of a year and a half of vacations, divided on 22 years! And at the end, I am judged as "not loyal" just because of my ID. ARGH!

6:38 PM GMT  
Anonymous Alaa said...

Hi Man,

Great Post…I fully agree with you, it hurts us all, and this must be stopped!!!

8:17 AM GMT  
Anonymous Mariam Ayyash said...

One day a guy looked at his neighbors mail boxes, they had different colors, but then this guy goes up his neighbor's house and says, these are eastern boxes, and those are western. The neighbor blasts and says no, they are all my mail boxes, they are all the same, even if some are blue and some are green. The guy says,
- eastern western, and i am taking the western,..
- ur not taking anything, they are all mine...
- no im taking the western for me... - no you're not, you are not taking the "WESTERN" boxes away from me
- there i have taken them
- give me back my "western" boxes, eastern and western are no different to me...

u see where im going? They created that border, they took the other side, and then asked us to redeem that side that never existed, claiming to the world with all of our energy that there is no difference between "this part and that part that never even existed!"
what hurts me is the descrimination coming from top, but what hurts me more is the descrimination we create in our heads and believe, by saying there are no differences between "jordanain and palestinian" u simply identified that imaginary line on earth... wake up everybody, we shall STOP calling countries by their names and start calling cities, because loyalty to a city is not a crime, every human must have a sense of belonging to a specific city, and ours is towards Amman.

2:16 PM GMT  
Blogger NAR said...

I am multi-national I have loyalty to at least 5 countries. The place (country) I was born, the other where I grew up. The other two where my parents where born, and the last where my children are born.

Why can loyalty only be to a single place - either P or J?! Why can't you feel love for more than one place?

The policeman is probably 100% jordanian and never left the country. He judged you from his sigular-loyalty point of view.

6:57 PM GMT  
Anonymous Noor said...

You know, it hurts when you can't do anything about it

And you know what? It hurts even more when you start using it to your advantage, even though you know deep inside of you that it's totally wrong

I got this situation once, where we were pulled over me and couple of friends by a policeman, asking for our ID's, my friends were almost got arrested for no specific reason while I was standing next to them watching, because all I had to say was "Khaldi Mafraq", while in fact, I've never been into Mafreq, and I never met anyone from Mafraq, and my whole family tree is not related to Mafraq...

That gotta hurt man.

11:54 PM GMT  
Anonymous Khawaja M. said...

I really commended you for what you have said... I would like to add this qout from a former prime minister when he said:

"We are all Jordanians when we build a better future for Jordan.
And We are all palestinian when we fight for the freedom of palestine"

6:31 AM GMT  
Blogger Issam said...

Good post ..
But I have two comments to add, (1) What I notice is that most of people who work with the "system" here in Jordan, have more loyality to the system than to the land and people of Jordan.
(2) Yesterday was "3eed el istqlal", all the signs, songs, ads and celebrations were dedicated to the royla family and the king! It should be something related to our land and people .. and then to the system.
Starting from the flag, the country logo and ending by the national "song" .. everything point to the royal family and the king .. rarely something point to the jordanian land and people ..

9:35 AM GMT  
Blogger Electro said...

Absolutely right Issam, but still there were "few" dedications to Jordan.
I liked Jameed's Post.

9:36 AM GMT  
Anonymous Maro said...

You know... It might be a bit of a late post but I feel obligated to post on this Blog.
This was not the first time such a thing happens to me!
First of all I seriously am proud of knowing a guy like you. Dude most of the guys from "Jordanian origins" I knew feel proud that they hurt "palestinian origin" people whatever that means!
Also People don't understand that what they're doing is backfiring on us all. Believe it or not some people feed their children hatred of us. They feel that they are above us and think of us as intruders to this land. what can i say?!? I personally treat people like they treat me. I don't care where do they come from or what they do in their lives. The percentage of educated people in Jordan is increasing yet these minor issues are keeping us a third world country. Have any of you thought about the time and effort lost on these stupid issues? imagine people thinking about this using the brain power they are consuming to think, read or study... I believe we will be one of the greatest countries ever (we are one but still need improvement).
Besides all of this talk is making kids unfaithful to their country. seriously I personally used to hate this country so freaking much when i was a kid. not because i hear anything from my family or close ones but because of the treatment i used to get from colleges and people in the streets. When i grew up i realized this is bullshit and realized that this is my country. come to think of it now I realize that what made me think this way is the chitchat from stupid people all around. I just hope people would wake up one day and realize inno kolna wlad 9 (momken 7 kaman:p).
bottom line is I was pissed too that night but I guess i dont blame the guy... after all this is what he was taught!

8:29 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home